During three exhilarating days, onedotzero_adventures in motion presented a diverse and radiant showcase of visionary new work and pioneering talent in audiovisual, music, moving image and digital and interactive arts.
The festival was underpinned by the theme "citystates", a creative inquiry into the idea of how we live in the modern metropolis.
Installations, screenings and live performances showcased artist’s, designer’s and director’s interpretations and investigations of the nature of the city, architecture and sustainable living.
Showcasing the brightest up-and-coming talents alongside world-leading creative luminaries; the festival brought together the most innovative short films, animation, motion graphics, music videos, groundbreaking feature film previews with director Q&A’s, alongside interactive installations, explosive live audiovisual and music performances, artist discussions, hands-on toy-hacking workshops and parties.
Highlights of this year’s event included two very special live audiovisual events at the BFI IMAX: an exclusive collaboration between Nitin Sawhney, one of the UK's most innovative musicians, and Es Devlin, renowned stage designer who has worked with Carmen to Kanye West; and an AV triple-bill featuring The Light Surgeons, D-Fuse and Hexstatic. Boasting the largest screen in the UK, and unique 6.0 surround sound system, the performances immersed the audience in spectacular sonic and visual adventure.
Meanwhile outside the building on London’s Southbank, Jason Bruges Studio unveiled ‘Aeolian Tower’ - a magnificent 15 meter tower of light designed to highlight the possibilities of sustainability in art, architecture and design for modern life.
• wow + flutter 08 [experimental approaches to graphic storytelling + future visual trends in motion]
• wavelength 08 [visually progressive music videos, rarely screened promos and director specials]
• extended play 08 [critically acclaimed, digitally inflected short films]
• j-star 08 [the most inspiring music videos, motion graphics and shorts from Japan!s finest]
• New British Talent 08 [BBC Film Network presents work from the latest bright sparks and upcoming talent from the UK indie filmmaking scene]
• terrain 08 [evocative artist interpretations of all types of environments, real and imagined]
• citystates [provocative shorts exploring the idea of the modern metropolis]
• top draw [taking us back to the drawing board with craft-based and hand drawn approaches]
• Studio AKA: a retrospective [award-winning innovative animation production company] • Advanced Beauty [18 video-Sound Sculptures that are an ongoing exploration of digital artworks born and influenced by audio plus code]
• onedotzero_uncut: new + up-and-coming filmmakers present and discuss their work Feature Films
• Tôkyô! [Dir. Michel Gondry, Leos Carax + Bong Joon-ho, Fr-Jap-Kor-Ger 2008] special preview
• Choking Man [Dir. Steve Barron, USA 2007]: special preview + onstage Q+A with Steve Barron
• Año Uña [Dir. Jonás Cuarón, Mexico 2008]: special preview + onstage Q+A with Jonás Cuarón
Live audiovisual Events @ BFI IMAX
• Nitin Sawhney in collaboration with Es Devlin [Friday 14 November]
• Live Cinema triple-bill: The Light Surgeons, D-Fuse, Hexstatic [Saturday 15 November] Installations
• Troika: citystates, commissioned by onedotzero
• Jason Bruges Studio
• Hexstatic Holotronica